Dear Reader,
Do you know someone who takes life a little too seriously? Do you find yourself repeatedly telling that person to just lighten up a little? If you do, please read this website:
Highly Sensitive People
Having had many sensitive friends in the past, I have learned that -- though they can be a challenge to interact with -- they are some of the best, fiercest friends. Highly sensitive people care very deeply about friends, family, and even strangers. If you are in a tough spot in life, they don't hesitate even a moment to come help you out. They brighten your day before you even realized you were having a rough one (but maybe that's just because I'm not always aware of my own emotions :P ). When they laugh, they light up the room with the light of their smile, and they have an uncanny ability to make people feel loved.
As it says in the article, highly sensitive people are prone to depression and anxiety, most especially if they've had troubling experiences in the past. Yes, this can be tiring, because that means intense lows come with all of their intense highs. They don't take criticism very well, and a few "jokes" can easily cut them down to nothing. There are times when they just deeply, deeply need to be held. They need reinforcement like fish need water. Because of this, not everyone has the patience to care for and really get to know highly sensitive people; after all, they can put up some pretty high walls to protect themselves.
These are challenges that sensitive people and their loved ones face every day. But that doesn't mean being a sensitive person is a bad thing. In fact, I would say the opposite. Being friends with highly sensitive people throughout my life has given me two things: a deep understanding that I am loved, and a better capacity to love. Please, be a little patient. A sensitive person needs gentleness like an independent person needs freedom. In my experience, if you put a little more effort into your relationship with that person, and you may be the one to shine a little light into their depression. At the same time, you will gain a friendship that will last a lifetime. Give up a little crudeness for the sensitive person in your life, and they will help you develop a love that makes you want to cry and laugh at the same time; something so wonderful that you can hardly stand it. Caring for them and letting them care for you will make you better and stronger in every way.
Okay, now I sound like a total preacher :P But I want to invite you to share a little kindness. It doesn't have to be anything huge: I'm a big believer in the power of little things. As always, feel free to share stories and ideas in the comments.
A Little Bit About Me
Hi :) My name is Kim, and I'm the author of this blog. It's kinda funny, I never thought I would ever create a blog, but then I moved up to college in August 2013. I made some great friendships, and as we became closer, I learned about their struggles with depression and anxiety. While I have never struggled with depression myself, I grew up in the military, and I know what feeling alone is like. I have a lot of empathy for them and respect for their strength of character.
As I have helped my friends more and more, I have learned a lot about depression, and the more I did, the more I wanted to do. The only problem is that I couldn't help everyone: I realized that I still have my own life that I need to take care of and enjoy. With my hands tied, I figured, Hey! I can start a blog!
Anyway, a bit about me: I was born in Texas, but lived in Nebraska, Guam, Massachusetts, and California before my dad retired from the Air Force and my family settled in Payson, UT. You probably figured this out already from my posts, but I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (we're commonly called Mormons). I realize that not everyone shares my beliefs in Christ, but my faith is what keeps me alive, keeps me strong, and keeps me going. Right now I am attending Utah State University and am working toward earning my Associate's Degree.
Whether you suffer from depression, are helping someone with that challenge, or you have never known someone with a mental illness, I hope that you can get a little something from this blog. Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment