A Little Bit About Me

Hi :) My name is Kim, and I'm the author of this blog. It's kinda funny, I never thought I would ever create a blog, but then I moved up to college in August 2013. I made some great friendships, and as we became closer, I learned about their struggles with depression and anxiety. While I have never struggled with depression myself, I grew up in the military, and I know what feeling alone is like. I have a lot of empathy for them and respect for their strength of character.
As I have helped my friends more and more, I have learned a lot about depression, and the more I did, the more I wanted to do. The only problem is that I couldn't help everyone: I realized that I still have my own life that I need to take care of and enjoy. With my hands tied, I figured, Hey! I can start a blog!
Anyway, a bit about me: I was born in Texas, but lived in Nebraska, Guam, Massachusetts, and California before my dad retired from the Air Force and my family settled in Payson, UT. You probably figured this out already from my posts, but I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (we're commonly called Mormons). I realize that not everyone shares my beliefs in Christ, but my faith is what keeps me alive, keeps me strong, and keeps me going. Right now I am attending Utah State University and am working toward earning my Associate's Degree.
Whether you suffer from depression, are helping someone with that challenge, or you have never known someone with a mental illness, I hope that you can get a little something from this blog. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Overcoming the Shameful Disease

My name is Ben, and I have a confession to make: I have an illness.  I learned this in the ER after recovering from an overdose on pain pills.  My doctor told me he didn’t know the cause, but the disease had corrupted my blood, which is why I was in so much pain all the time.  When I asked if I would ever get better, he told me there were treatments, and some worked really well.  He warned me that each patient reacted better to some treatments than others.  The recovery process could be long, expensive, and complicated, and even then, there was no guarantee that I would ever be cured.
My parents drove me home in dead silence.  They thought I was just exaggerating my symptoms.  I didn’t dare talk about getting treatment or returning to the doctor’s; every time I tried they just shut down the conversation.  I guess it hurt them to think their son was broken.  They didn’t like to think that I could die from this disease, so they pretended it didn’t exist.
They didn’t realize I had been taking the pain pills for eons now; almost seven years ago I had started getting massive headaches and became sore all over my body. Each morning I woke up to a throbbing in my limbs that begged me to rest.  But I couldn’t: I had school.  So I got ready, my stiff joints forcing me to move slowly, lethargically. There were nights when I just wanted to never wake up, because death would be so blissful compared to feeling like every muscle in my body was on fire.
When I first started to have these problems, one of my friends just scoffed at me: “Whatever man.  You’re just trying to get away with doing no homework.  Stop kidding around!”  Others got tired waiting for me because my limbs were like lead and I lacked the energy to keep up.  By the time I started self-medicating, most of my friends were pretty much gone.  Even one of my teachers pulled me aside to tell me to pull myself together: he expected more of me.
Telling people about my disease and diagnosis only made it worse: now I was an outcast.  Even my closest friends avoided talking about the illness.  One of them went as far as to say that the doctor who diagnosed me was a fake and I should just go cure myself. 
So I did.  Or tried to at least.  It began with bloodletting—cutting.  At first it made me want to vomit, but it helped, so within a few months the acrid, metallic smell of my poisoned blood brought a sort of reassurance that I could manage my condition.  I became an adrenaline junkie—supposedly it would give my body energy to fight the disease—and I was drawn to danger.
I tried everything from starving to suffocating to self-medicating. After all those attempts failed, I thought there was no hope for me: that I would slowly waste away.  I was broken, helpless, and hopeless. No one wanted me: a person doomed to a long and painful death.
Then one day a girl smiled and said hi to me.  Every day.  For weeks.  By this time my disease had already left my body twisted and deformed.  No one dared look at me.  No one… Except her.  Then she introduced herself—her name was Kim.  We hung out.
For the first time in years, I had a friend!  But I didn’t dare tell her about my disease… Months passed and she noticed how I kept wincing in pain.  She asked what was wrong, so at last, I told her about my disease.  I told her about the pain pills. I told her about the cutting and all the times I had nearly died because I just wanted the pain to end.  I told her about the times when I was by myself and I just screamed in agony or sobbed because I felt so alone.  I told her everything.
And you know what?  She listened!  She didn’t judge.  She told me my disease didn’t determine who I was.  She told me about the famous people who also suffered from the same condition.  Like Abraham Lincoln!  When Kim looked at me, she didn’t see a broken thing; she saw a person with talents and the capacity to be great.
You may be wondering what my disease was. Well, it actually isn’t anything physical.  No, it is something far more terrible and far harder to escape.  I have depression.  My actual diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Major Depressive Disorder and Dysthymia (if you don’t know what that means, don’t worry, most people don’t).  I was diagnosed after my fifth—or maybe it was my sixth—attempt at suicide.
One time Kim asked me why she was the one to help me—two years after my diagnosis and almost 10 years after my first suicide attempt.  She was upset that my parents, friends, and high school counselors did nothing and even made things worse.  I told her that, unlike her, they didn’t listen.  They were afraid.  Talking about mental illness made them uncomfortable: it was taboo.  Because of their responses, I felt trapped: doomed to face my hopeless, painful illness completely alone.  So I stopped talking about it, afraid of dragging others into my abyss.
Today I’m writing because I’m worried for all the other people out there like me.  An estimated 1.5 million children and teens in US schools will suffer from depression this year, and most of them have no idea help is available.  I’ve heard tragic stories of sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and friends who couldn’t take the pain any more and chose to end their lives.  This disease doesn’t discriminate.
As long as no one is willing to talk openly about depression, it will keep on killing.  So I hope you will learn from my story.  Take it from me; it doesn’t take much to help.  Just a smile. A listening ear. Being a friend. I will warn you that they—like me—will not bring up the topic.  So if you are seriously worried about someone, ask if they feel worthless or purposeless.  Please, ask if they have thoughts of suicide.
A friend or parent’s silence causes more damage than many people realize.  Because discussing mental illness was taboo in my family, it took Kim over 3 months to convince me to seek professional treatment. I’m now taking medication, which helps, and I’m doing much better. I’ve finally chosen a career that I’m passionate about, I have a job that I love, and for once I feels like my life has real meaning and purpose.  Fighting the disease is still hard, but now I have people by my side to help me along the way.
Depression doesn’t have to be a death sentence.  But it is real.  Painfully real.  And its victims need our help.  I think of Kim often… she and I both realize that, if not for her willingness to talk about my depression, I likely would not be alive today…  So please, talk about depression with your spouse, friends, parents, children, or peers.  Better yet, listen.  You might just save a life.

                     Sources/Additional reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment